Mumlife can be difficult at times with everything it throws at us…there’s no doubt about it! Keeping the kids entertained can be a battle in itself, let alone trying to think up ideas on the fly.
Young children lead very active little lifestyles, which enables them to learn and develop new skills as they build an understanding of the world around them.
Here we are going to take a look at 3 common experiences in family life, when the kids are held back from exerting this energy and instead, strive for our attention (or in other words…they become bored!).
It’s all about being one step ahead, so we can preempt these moments, and be on the front foot with a boredom diversion!
Entertaining the kids when travelling
Travelling with kids can be a very tiring experience for us parents…but, when we put ourselves in our children’s shoes we begin to see the travelling experience from their prospective, that being full of times which are very uninteresting and boring for them.
Its little wonder why they start showing signs of misbehavior, horrid tempers, crying and totally living life in tantrum-ville!
Having options up your sleeve (well…in your backpack), is vital to avoiding these little tanties. Weather travelling by car or by plane, here are some suggestions to getting you prepared:
- Melissa & Doug On The Go – reusable water activity books that kids can take with them anywhere and use over and over again. A great no mess option for mums and dads! Children use the refillable water pen to seek and find activities on every page. Available at Little Tots Treasures
- Melissa & Doug Wooden Locks Board – includes 4 different locks on 4 different images with a special surprise underneath each one. Unlock each of them to find out it’s secret! Designed to increase matching skills, fine motor skills and cognitive skills, plus it’s simply awesome fun! Available at TWIGS Toy Boutique (inquire via their Facebook page).
Travelling to visit Grandma & Grandpa
Going on holidays to visit Grandma & Grandpa can be a very exciting time for your little ones.
Kids naturally have a special bond with their grand parents, which is definitely something that should be encouraged.
Life long memories are so important as your children grow, and it’s THIS bond that they will more than likely, hold with them forever!
But once the initial excitement has settled, children begin to feel a little isolated within their surroundings…being filled with old people things like antique vases, porcelain plates and animals…not to mention, those doilies sitting under EVERYTHING, just waiting to be pulled by little hands!
Ahhh every parents worst nightmare… attention diversion desperately needed!
Be one step ahead and order craft activities before you leave, and have it sent to grandma’s ready for when you arrive! Simply genius!
Craft activities will be on hand for times when the kids need an activity to keep them busy… or when they are getting just a little TOO close to those doilies!
Hallelujah, porcelain crisis averted!
Here are some great options to pre-order! All kits come with everything, so there’s no need to frantically source a local craft supplier or pack anything extra with you:
- Happy Hands Activity Kits – Engage and excite toddlers – preschoolers with 5 fun thematically planned interactive Happy Hands Activities. Each kit includes: ALL cool craft materials, exciting tools, worksheets, and a keepsake certificate from us at Happy Hands!
- Castle & Kite – CRAFT BOXES are full of engaging activities that take the mess, stress and organisation out of craft time! Craft has so many social, emotional and academic benefits and these boxes are designed to provide fun and educational benefits as children experience exciting new themes.
- Silver Star Crafts – provide a wide range of craft supplies including: sand art, plaster painting, beads, sun catchers, DIY crafts kits and much more. Perfect range of individual packs to have on hand!
Keeping toddlers busy while breastfeeding your newborn
Spending time breastfeeding your newborn is precious and beautiful and it provides special bonding time between mum and bub…that is until you have your second…and third…+ children!
Breastfeeding your newborn with a toddler in toe, certainly adds a dose of stress and chaos into the mix.
Your toddler soon becomes aware that you are stuck with a baby attached to you, and they begin to run a muck leaving a trail of destruction in their wake.
How do we get the breastfeeding joy back and keep a toddler entertained at the same time?
Keeping an activity box…or ‘Breastfeeding Box’, is an awesome way to keep your toddler entertained, allowing you the chance to get stuck into that special bonding time with your newborn.
The box can be specially stocked with all sorts of fantastic activities for your toddler to get into, during breastfeeding times only!
Your box doesn’t have to be anything fancy in fact, why not start with a cardboard box and cover it with plain paper, then give your child some stickers, pens, a glue stick and cut out shapes for them to decorate it!
Now, what to put in it!
In our Activities Hub, you will find a great range of crafts (that has everything you need to get crafting), plus fantastic games, wooden toys, sensory toys, learning resources, books, food storage options…plus so much more.
Nicole is a mum of two girls aged 5 and 3, made to order cook, cleaner, crafts organiser and family budget manager. In between cups of coffee, you will usually find her assisting a toddler with the toilet, cleaning food scraps off the floor and basically trying to keep her mini-me’s alive. She knows all too well that if you don’t keep them busy they will find their own busy-ness, by doing something mischievous!
Continue Reading More Blogs
There is nothing more exciting for little ones than sharing Christmas morning with their family. They wake up bursting with energy, charging towards mum and dad’s room letting them know, ‘It's Christmas...It’s Christmas’, before making a B-line straight for the...
We all know how hard it can be to teach children about the need to brush their teeth and look after their mouths. Looking after baby teeth is an important task as these teeth need to last them through the first few years of life and some of the back teeth are with...
Some parents find it easy to get down and creative with their kids, but most of us struggle with this task a little. We might not have time, might lack the imagination we think is needed, or (let’s be honest now), don’t really enjoy kids activities all that...